For me, 2012 was a good year in terms of travel. I managed to visit many areas in Turkey and for the first time in eight years, I left the country for a brief visit to the UK.
The plan is to make 2013 just as great and one place on my list is the Bodrum peninsula. Located on the West coast of Turkey, it is a popular destination, especially with British tourists.
I have spent a lot of time on the Bodrum peninsula over the past ten years and still only seen half of what is on offer. This has to change.
After all, my entire goal is to visit every town, village, and city, so there is no better place to start than somewhere only an hour and a half drive from my home.
So what have I already done on the Bodrum peninsula?
A few memorable moments are…
- Joining in a village band at the camel wrestling
- Completed a crawl of Bar street in the town centre
- Visited the castle and underwater museum
- Ate oversized sea food in Bogazici
- Went walking in 2 inch heels through the Uyku Vadesi (sleeping valley)
- Ran out of the house of horrors in Yalikavak (a sub standard hotel)
- Watched the sunset in Turgutreis
What I want to do in 2013
- Revisit Gumusluk in the height of summer to taste their highly recommended fish dishes
- Visit Akyarlar beach, which Forbes said, is the best in Turkey
- Hire a boat and explore the coastline for a week
- Visit the beach clubs of Turkbuyku to stalk rich people. Apparently, they hang out there and this resort is the equivalent of St Tropez
- See the Mustafa Pasha Watch tower in Ortakent
- Get drunk in Gumbet (not exciting but heard it is the popular thing to do there)
- See the old byzantine monastery in Torba
- Bitez beach is meant to be spectacular as well
- Visit picturesque Bardakci cove
- Explore the archaeological site of Pedasa
- Try to see inside the five-star Kempinski Barbaros Bay where celebrities stay. Not sure how I will achieve this because their prices are too much for my budget.
My favourite Resort on the Bodrum Peninisula
If you are thinking of Bodrum for a holiday in 2013, you cannot go wrong. There are good deals on Monarch’s Bodrum flights and you have a wide choice of resorts to stay in.
My favourite is Turgutreis for the laidback attitude and gorgeous sunsets. However, I also recommend a driving holiday of the Bodrum peninsula and hopefully will do that in 2013.
Readers Question: Which is your favourite resort on the Bodrum peninsula?