One of the best feelings in the world is when you eat your favorite food. One of my favorite dishes is Dolma and I have just hurriedly scoffed two for my lunchtime meal. If you find yourself in Turkey and come upon a traditional restaurant, then be sure to nip in and try some dolma.
If you translate dolma then it actually means stuffed thing and the Turks like to use Peppers or egg plants to do this. This afternoon I had peppers which were stuffed with rice, onion and subtle spices and herbs. If I was to be really Turkish, then I would eat it with yogurt.
Recipe for Dolma Stuffed Peppers
- Take five green or red peppers and cut the tops off. Wash and dry them with kitchen paper.
- In a pan, lightly fry chopped onions and a small amount of chillies. Feel free to add your own spices to alter the taste to your liking.
- Add rice to this pan, fill it with boiling water and proceed to cook.
- When the rice has cooked, use the mixture to stuff the peppers.
- Put the peppers into a pot with the top facing up.Pour a small amount of olive oil over the peppers and in the pan.
- Pour boiling water in amongst the peppers and proceed to simmer for half an hour.
- You will know when the Dolma is ready as the peppers will be soft and easy to cut with a knife.
- Serve to the table with yogurt.
Further Reading About Turkish Food
- How to eat fish like a Turk
- A guide to tasty Turkish street food
- Eating Vegetarian food in Turkey